Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chili

Please tell me (Becca) that I'm not the only one that has trouble getting a decent Sunday lunch on the table?!?  It seems like when we get home everyone, myself included, is over-tired and over-hungry, since it is an hour past our usual lunch time.  I'm teaching Sunday School this year too, so we can't be late, meaning my morning prep time is quite limited, as I'm usually doing well to get a good hot breakfast in everyone, and get them dressed and out the door.  So, it's chili to the rescue!  I actually made this recipe up, and you can easily get it all into the slow cooker in less than five minutes so it's ready when you walk into the door.  Ladle it up with some grated cheese, add crackers and salad, and you can have lunch on the table five minutes after arriving at home!  We all think it's really tasty too.  You can adjust the ground red pepper and cumin to your family's tastes.  I just use a dash of each for our family for the children's sakes.

Ingredients:

1 pound of lean ground beef (or turkey) cooked (I brown several pounds at a time, freeze them in 1 pound packages, and keep them in the freezer so they're ready to go for recipes like this)
1 large can ranch style beans (52 oz.) or 3 of the regular size (16 oz) cans
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (I prefer petite diced, use your favorite)
2 Tablespoons chili powder
a small dash of ground red pepper
a small dash of cumin

Add everything to the slow cooker, UNdrained.  Stir to combine and cook on high 3-4 hours, or low 5-6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment