Thursday, November 10, 2011

"Let's Kick It Up a Notch"

In the words of my good friend Emeril, "Let's Kick It Up (or Down) a Notch!" Surely having my morning coffee with Emeril (even if he is just making an appearance on my tv) counts as a cooking friendship. :)
On to the first recipe on Thrice the Spice!! This one comes to us from the Deen Bros., who decided Mama's cooking needed a little less heart congestion and calories and lot more flavor and health. You can find the recipe here: http://thedeenbros.com/index.php/recipes/recipe_detail/the_deen_bros._lighter_sweet_potato-chipotle_shepherds_pie/
First you will cook ground beef or turkey. Also, dice your sweet potatoes and get those boiling at the same time. Once the meat is done transfer to another bowl and add diced zucchini, squash, and onion to the pan to cook. I sprinkled in some garlic powder as well.
 These are what cause the recipe to be kicked up or down a notch.  I chopped two of these to add to the vegetable mix. Quite spicy, and I love a good hot meal. I recommend only chopping one, unless you want to wipe your hubby's brow in the middle of supper.
 After your vegetables have cooked, add your jalapenos from above (they are called "chilis, but are really smoked jalapenos), a can of diced tomatoes and chicken broth. In my case I used 3/4 cup water and a beef bouillon cube because I'm a rebel like that in the kitchen. :)
 Add your beef into the above mixture once it's had time to boil, and cover with cheese. I used mozarella because A.) it's what I had and B.) my sweet girl had enough of mama's cooking time-no time to shred a block

 You will then add your sweet potato mixture on top, and mm, mm, is this good!
 You didn't think I'd leave you hanging back there with the diced potatoes still boiling did you? After the potatoes boil, drain water, add your butter and yet again our chilis! I added one more, plus a tablespoon of the sauce. Mash all this with a potato masher and you're done!
The delicious end result! I would grade this an A-. Just a tad bit too spicy, but you could leave the chilis out and add some additional flavor with spices, or maybe even enchilada sauce instead. The dish also had quite a bit of liquid in it after taking it from the oven. You might drain some out of the pan before putting it in the oven to bake. Overall-great recipe! It made excellent leftovers too.
See ya next Monday!-Sara :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment