Friday, November 11, 2011

Perfect Popcorn!

Hi!  Becca here, the oldest and only "non-twin" member of the Thrice the Spice sisters!  I'm going to show you how to make a perfect bowl of air-popped popcorn in under 3 minutes, without any extra appliances or standing over the stove required!  I first tried this several years after reading about the dangers of your standard bag of microwave popcorn (google it, or "popcorn workers lung" if you're interested) and haven't gone back since.  I actually think the taste is better, and it's a fraction of the price & healthier too!

All you need is a brown paper bag, the old school lunch bag type is fine, and popcorn kernels.  I order the organic kernels from amazon that are about the same price as the name brand at our local Walmart because I haven't had great luck with their store brand.  Pour 1/3 cup of your preferred popcorn kernels into your brown paper bag, and narrowly fold the top over a couple of times so the steam can build up inside of the bag.  Be sure and don't fold too much of the bag down, you want to leave lots of room to fill with the popped corn!  You can secure with a small piece of tape or staple, but a good fold alone should be fine.

Put the folded-down bag of kernels into the center of your microwave and set it on high for 2 minutes & 30 seconds.  As with 'regular' microwave popcorn, the time may vary based on your location, the kernels, humidity, the full moon, etc.  So don't wander off.  When the kernels are popping 4 seconds apart, turn the microwave off.

Get ready.......

There it is!  Beautifully popped popcorn!  Pour into your favorite bowl(s) and enjoy.

I like to top mine with a little drizzle of coconut oil for flavor, and/or, depending on how indulgent I'm feeling, a spray of olive oil from my oil mister.  Add a few dashes of salt & it's amazing!  Of course, butter or any of your favorite popcorn toppings would be great too!

Enjoy, and I'll be back soon with recipes for our favorite homemade breakfast sausage, baked parmesan fish, and lemon pepper noodles!

*I have seen recipes that add the oil directly to the paper bag before popping the popcorn, but I have had far less consistant results this way, and didn't like the mess of the oily paper bag in my microwave and to pour from, so I prefer to add toppings later.

1 comment: