Saturday, February 11, 2012

McCraine Pumpkin Bread

Jana here with a delicious pumpkin bread recipe!  My mother-in-law gave me this recipe several years ago, and I've never looked for another one since then.  This is definitely the best pumpkin bread I've ever had, and others that I have made it for agree!  It makes two loaves, so I like to keep a loaf, and bless someone else with the 2nd one!  It is a very light and moist bread, making it almost like cake!  I think it tastes really good with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate!  Perfect for the wintry weather that has finally arrived where I live!

McCraine Pumpkin Bread

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup chopped pecans, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Beat eggs and sugar together well. Add pumpkin, oil, and vanilla, mixing thoroughly.

3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.

4. Add to pumpkin mixture and beat. Add pecans.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour in two well greased loaf pans.

As with most bread or muffin recipes, if you are wanting to make this healthier, there are several substitutions you can make.  You can begin by reducing the sugar.  Applesauce can be used in place of the oil.  You can use whole wheat flour instead of white, which I have done before with great results!

No comments:

Post a Comment